Saturday, May 4, 2013

Screen Prints for Social Change

I really enjoyed this process. I think the most fascinating aspect was that anyone can do this. It is a relatively cheap process that can be done in a single afternoon. This project really made me want to invest in some screens and ink. I love how screen printing has so much flexibility, whether that is with the intensity of your image, what materials you are printing on, or how many people you want involved. It is a fun hands-on process. This project is one of my favorites. It was really great to see how each person approached the project and what was on their shirts. I loved how different the messages were.

As for my design, I wish I had developed my image even further. My original concept was difficult to execute and because I was not sure how successful these prints were going to be, I did not fret over it too much. Now, with more time, I would like to really push my concept further. I wanted to create an image that reflected ones identity and their thumb print on the world. To walk through my image, the outer circles are supposed to resemble a cut down tree's stump. The person's profile was supposed to somewhat morph into a fingerprint, but it could also resemble the rings of a tree stump. It is a person's mark on the earth to put it plainly. I chose blue and green because we could only use two colors and I wanted to connect the image with an interpretation of the world. It is an abstract concept with no right or wrong interpretation. With more thought, I would make the image have a clearer message. I do think it is somewhat successful still.

I handed out my t-shirts to my roommates to wear. There is no right or wrong event or environment to wear my t-shirt in since it is making such a broad statement. I suppose the intention is to have someone reflect on the relationship they have with the earth. It promotes thinking "green".

1 comment:

  1. Terrific! "I wanted to create an image that reflected ones identity and their thumb print on the world." I look forward to seeing more wearable messaging.

    ReplyDelete