Saturday, March 30, 2013

Taller Tupac Amaru: A Decade of Radical Printmaking

The exhibit was very beautiful and thought provoking. When I first entered, I was immediately struck by how reminiscent the art was to 1960's radical art. The screen prints had vibrant colors and bold lettering and beautiful use of composition. Although aesthetically I really enjoyed the prints, I was at first not convinced of their purpose. I left the exhibit appreciating what messages they were trying to give and their talent, but I wasn't sure how successful their objective was. There was no explanation to their works, call to action, or informing their audience of the issues they were addressing.

After listening to the artists speak, it completely changed my interpretation. I recall one of the artists saying that they often got criticized for not have a specific goal to their artwork. If the activists weren't trying to pass a specific policy or repeal something, then what was the point to their work? This was the kind of resistance their work was receiving, and I related to that kind of thinking. But the point she was making was that they were making art, screen printing specifically, to gain support and involvement from people that could relate or wanted to support their cause. It is the act of doing art that inspires innovative thinking. It is not always about perusing a specific goal in politics or local government, but creating awareness through the act of doing art. Art is about promoting creative thinking and allowing people to be aware that their involvement and participation is what matters.

I really enjoyed the lecture because it brought a new perspective on activism for me, but I still think it could have been an even more successful exhibit. The art was clearly addressing issues that made the viewer study the piece and how it related to what it was conveying, but I think the gallery needed more background info. There needed to be something else to help the viewer understand the issue. An ill-informed audience would not have the same appreciation as someone who knew the intention of the artwork. Beautiful work should be understood to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment